Sunday, April 17, 2016

Letting your REAL hang out

Letting your REAL hang out



"We have to dare to be ourselves, however frightening or strange that self might prove to be." May Sarton

I don't know about you, but the I like being around the people who know the REAL me better than anyone else in this world. The people who don't care what car I drive, what my professional life is all about, if I'm just ugly that day because I chose to not wear makeup or do my hair, and the ones who know that I'm not perfect, politically correct, and very blunt. Those are MY people!

"Nobody wants to be lonely. Everyone wants to be part of a group. The crowd is essential for the false self to exist. Don't die before realizing your authentic self." Osho-

It's easy to get caught up in a world of fake, trying to get acceptance from the crowd. Authenticity. Courage. Vulnerability. We hear these words so much in our daily lives but how often do we actually stop and investigate what they really mean?

Vulnerability has always been a scary word to me. Putting myself out there and risking that someone is going to take advantage of my flaws. But I've noticed that the more I strive to have only REAL people my life it gets easier. I'm not saying I don't care about throwing myself to the wolves and giving someone the ammunition to destroy me, but I am vulnerable and put myself out there for the people I know are meant to stay.

No one is perfect but we let EGO take over and make us think that we need to "compete" or "be better" than anyone else or for someone to truly accept us. When in reality.... the people who truly love and care for us are the ones who know our faults, flaws, and how imperfect we truly are.

 
 
 
Why is there this need to portray ourselves as something or someone we are not? Why do we have the tendency to NEED to feel this acceptance from people we don't really even know? On social media, dating sites, out at a club? Are we a world that is so self conscious about who we really are, that we have to make this fake world full of fake people?
 
 
I've been told before that sometimes people don't appreciate my honesty about a situation or they can't believe how freely I will talk about a mistake or a flaw I have. Well here's how I look at that.... I am not perfect, I will never be, but I want people in my life that are honest with me even if they know it may hurt me. I want them to be who they REALLY are and not who society, religion, or their families have told them they need to be. I want to be surrounded by people who know they have faults but are working on them rather pretending to be someone they are not.
 
Being real doesn't mean being mean and purposely hurting others with  the things you say, but it means being the real YOU and that's a hard concept for some people to understand.
 
Are you REAL? Do you find yourself portraying yourself to be "better" or "more" than what you really are?
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment